Sunday, August 24, 2008

revolting



Two nights before leaving Beijing, I saw this dish on a restaurant menu: "Cold Fresh Walnuts with Cherry Blossoms". I ordered it out of curiosity.

Surprisingly, the restaurant actually had cherry blossoms on hand. Maybe it was from a can.



I learned that there's a reason why people don't usually eat cherry blossoms. They are absolutely revolting. I had to let the whole dish go to waste, because even the walnuts were tainted and thereby disgusting.



Here is a photo of food which is actually good. On the right is a stack of cucumber segments. Chinese cucumbers have more taste than American ones, and it's common to eat a whole raw cucumber as a snack.



I was amused by the translation of this restaurant name.



The translation is "American Owl Restaurant". I don't think that was the original intent behind the name "Hooters".

10 comments:

Jeremy said...

That cherry blossom dish looks like someone got to it first, didn't care for it and regurgitated it.

What is real Chinese food like? I've only had fake Chinese or American-Chinese food.

Anonymous said...

Real Chinese food is awesome. It tastes nothing like American style. It's fresher, lower in salt and sugar, and has a wide range of flavors that stand out on their own...

That's the first Hooters I've seen in China. I'm assuming that was in Beijing, correct? Did you go in? I'm curious if they have the hot wings and cute, but bodacious girls running around in short-shorts and t-shirts like the US. Somehow, knowing China's frowning on that kind of display of sexuality, I doubt it.

biantaishabi said...

hooter in Chinese should be “大波妹”! :D

Unknown said...

Ha ha ha, I didn't know the Chinese translation was "American Owl Restaurant." Mostly Westerners visit Hooters...

Here is a story on the background of Hooters in China. And I found a video here on YouTube of a "clap-and-dance" routine done on the half-hour.

As for real Chinese food vs. American Chinese food, an entertaining and educational read is The Fortune Cookie Chronicles - Adventures in the World of Chinese Food

peng said...

Because of its logo,an owl

david1082 said...

Now people in China will think they eat owls in US restaurants.

Anonymous said...

"Real Chinese food is awesome."

I agree with anon, but be aware that if you start out with Cantonese food, there's nowhere else to go but down when you explore the other cuisines of China. [/rank-chauvinism]

david1082 said...

To Anonymous: looks like they haven't watered the Hooters brand down for China:
Beauty pageant
At the Great Wall

A Niniane sighting? ;-)

Unknown said...

@David - I'm sorry, but that link/image of that Chinese girl *does not* look like Niniane.

Day said...

That girl works in the Fremont Hooters :P