Saturday, April 21, 2018

The apple of knowledge and customs

Today Aff told me about a woman flying from France to Denver. She was served an apple on her flight, and put it in her luggage to eat later. 

At customs, she was searched and received a $500 fine due to the apple.

I said that compared to all the other issues that happen during customs and immigration, this was quite minor. She has to sign a form that she is not bringing fruits, so she should have known.

I wonder how I will think about this situation in 5 years or 10 years. Will I think that even though there are larger immigration struggles, this small issue is still an injustice? 

1 comment:

The Prolific Programmer said...

At Heathrow in 2003, I was (jokingly, as it would be later claimed) offered a free trip to Cuba by American security. #FunnyNotFunny